Global Down Syndrome Foundation
Adults with Down Syndrome Task Force
Goals & Commitment to Sharing
The Global Down Syndrome Foundation Adults with Down Syndrome Task Force (Global Task Force) was established in March 2014. The co-chairs of the Global Task Force are Dr. Dennis McGuire, a Down syndrome behavioral expert and Global Senior Consultant, and Michelle Sie Whitten, President & CEO of Global.
The Global Task Force was formed to assist the Global Down Syndrome Foundation and the Anna and John J. Sie Foundation to establish a world-class interdisciplinary medical care center for adults with Down syndrome (Center) in Colorado. The Center will allow patients receiving excellent care at the Sie Center for Down Syndrome at Children’s Hospital Colorado to transition into excellent adult care and it will be the first of its kind in a 600 mile radius of Denver.
As the Global Task Force engaged in this important work, other areas of interest emerged and the purpose of the Global Task Force expanded to include the following:
1. Create a national survey for adults with Down syndrome and their families/caregivers to understand better what their medical and other needs are
2. Research existing medical care guidelines for Down syndrome, IDD and other comparable diseases and conditions
3. Using the results of 1 and 2 above, oversee and fund, through an RFP process, updated medical care guidelines for adults with Down syndrome
The Global Task Force is committed to excellence and to sharing its findings with the Down syndrome community as well as the mainstream community.
Dedicated Experts, Self-Advocates and Family Members
The Global Task Force is made up of over 60 dedicated experts, self-advocates and family members. It is represented by 13 states, Canada and Germany. Global is deeply grateful for the members’ contributions. The Global Task force has nine committees, each chaired by one or more Global Task Force Members:
1. Clinical & Basic Research Committee
2. Clinical Care
3. Development, Awareness and Advocacy (in development)
4. Nutrition & Cooking
5. Occupational Therapy & Life Skills
6. Physical Therapy & Fitness
7. Speech & Communication
8. Surveys & Market Research
9. Website (in development)